Working Visa in Australia for Over 30's (Are You Eligible?) - Visa Solutions Australia

Back to News/Blog

Can you get a working visa for Australia if you’re over 30?

Can you get a working visa for Australia if you’re over 30?

Can you get a working visa for Australia if you’re over 30?

Many people contact us to explore their options of being able to work in Australia once they are over 30.   The good news is that even though you may be slightly older, there are many options open to you if you are older than 30.

Currently, Australia’s Working Holiday programme has an upper age limit of 30, but soon that upper age limit may be increased to 35. It’s a great way of taking the opportunity to see Australia and what it can offer, whilst earning some money.

Many working visa holders then apply for permanent visas to stay here. 

Change in Working Holiday visa

The Australian Government recognises the importance of working holidays to the country’s economy.  People on Working Holiday visas contribute towards the $43.4 billion tourism industry and provide much needed labour in areas such as agriculture, tourism and hospitality.

In recent times the number of people taking up the Working Holiday visa option has declined.  To the year-end 2014, the number of people who came on a working holiday visa was 215,000 compared to 258,000 to year end 2013 and that is one of the reasons why the programme will be extended to those up to 35 years of age.

There are currently 19 countries which are eligible to this programme including South Korea, Ireland, the UK and Canada.  A different Working Holiday visa is available to those from Chile, Thailand and the USA.  You can spend a year in this country, but it can be extended for another 12 months if you complete at least 3 months of specified work in regional Australia. 

New Working Holiday visa benefits

Those who want a Working Holiday visa and are aged over 30 will also benefit from a reduction in the cost of a visa application and can look forward to being taxed less on their earnings. If you take home less than $37,000 a year, the tax rate will be 19% whereas it used to be 32.5%. 

Transitioning onto permanent residency

Once you’ve decided you’d like to make Australia your permanent base, there are various options open to you. Many move on from these working visas onto student visas. This gives you the right to stay in Australia for the entire duration of your course and you may be able to incorporate your partner and they could be allowed to work.  

Work sponsored visas

If you are aged over 30 and looking to work, a Temporary Work visa (457) is an option. You will need to find an employer willing to sponsor you through the 457-visa programme which will mean that you could stay in this country for another four years, but you may only work for the sponsoring employee, and your skills must be in demand.

Employer Nomination Scheme

Another popular option is the Employer Nomination Scheme which enables employers to sponsor highly skilled workers to fill gaps in their business. Employers may recruit skilled workers but you should be qualified and have a broad skillset to bring to your role and it must be on the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) enables employers in regional and low population growth areas of Australia to sponsor highly skilled workers.  Ideally you should have at least a diploma or trade qualification to be eligible.

General Skilled visas

The General Skilled Migration programme leads to permanent residency and you may come independently or choose to be sponsored by a state or territory.  This option is open to people over 30 looking to secure work in Australia, and is a common pathway. To qualify for skilled migration to Australia, your skills must be in demand and you will need to check on the Skilled Occupation List.  As well as applying independently, you can also be sponsored by a state or territory.

Partner visas

Australian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor you to live permanently in this country. However, it is necessary to be married, or to have lived in a de facto relationship for at least 2 months. 

Business visas

There are a variety of Australian Business visas and some require that you establish one yourself or take over a business, and you will be required to show that you have the necessary funds to do this as well as the relevant skills and expertise.

We frequently come across working holiday visa holders who would like to continue staying in Australia, but simply do not know how to achieve that outcome. A simple phone discussion with one of our Visa Solutions Australia team members may unlock options which you didn't know were available to you. We recommend that you start the conversation early in your first working holiday visa, so that you can keep an eye out on any opportunities from potential sponsors in Australia.

If you are over 30 and want to work in this country.  Why not give us a call today?

Share this Post: