Australian Work Visas

Visa Solutions Australia
Australian Migration Agents

Work Visas

Work visas are for individuals wanting to work in Australia and businesses wanting to fill labour shortages.

Visa Solutions Australia has been helping overseas employees and local businesses for over 20 years. Whether you’re an individual wanting to live and work in Australia or a business needing staff to get through a busy time, our experienced registered migration agents can assist. We can help with skilled and employer sponsored visas, work and travel visas and graduate visas.

Australian Migration Agents

Skilled Visa

Skilled visas enable skilled overseas workers to migrate to Australia to fill skills shortages. The Skilled Visa category is made up of the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) Visa, Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190) and the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) Visa.

Each of these visas have varying eligibility criteria and requirements.

The Skilled Independent Visa is for invited workers and eligible Hong Kong and British National (overseas) passport holders with the skills Australia requires. Each of the streams within this subclass have specific eligibility requirements.

To be eligible for the Skilled Nominated Visa, workers must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI), then be invited to apply by a state or territory government, hold an occupation on the skills list and have a suitable skills assessment for that occupation as well as satisfy the points test. Holders of this visa can live and work in Australia as permanent residents.

To be eligible for the Skilled Work Regional (provisional) Visa, applicants must be invited to apply by a state or territory government or be sponsored by an eligible relative. Visa applicants must have an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list, have a suitable skills assessment for that occupation and satisfy the points test.

Australian Migration Agents

Employer Sponsored Visas

Business sponsor visas can assist businesses when labour shortages occur and there are no suitably qualified local workers to fill positions. Businesses can sponsor overseas workers through a variety of Business Sponsor Visas. Businesses can sponsor eligible overseas workers with the Temporary Skills Shortage (subclass 482) Visa, the Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) (subclass 494) visa, the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) Visa, and the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) Visa.

Each of these visas have various streams with their own eligibility requirements and lengths of stay.

The Temporary Skills Shortage Visa requires applicants to be nominated for a skilled position by an approved sponsor, have the required skills and experience to do the job and meet relevant English requirements. No age requirement applies for this visa.

The Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) (subclass 494) visa requires applicants to be nominated to work in an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list, have a minimum of three years work experience in the nominated occupation as well as a skills assessment. They must also be under 45 years of age and meet a minimum standard of English language proficiency. Holders of this visa can only work for their sponsor unless an exemption applies.

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme is closed to new applications via the direct entry stream. For 457 or 482 visa holders applying under the Temporary Residence Transition stream, applicants must be nominated by an approved Australian employer in regional Australia, be under 45 years of age and meet skills, qualifications and English language requirements.

To be eligible for the Employer Nomination Scheme, applicants must have the necessary skills for the job they are applying for, be nominated by an Australian employer, have at least competent English, and meet health and character requirements.

Book Migration Agent Near Me

Work and Travel Visas

Sometimes a business needs an individual with a specialised skill set for a short length of time. The Temporary Work Short Stay Specialist (subclass 400) Visa is for individuals who possess highly specialised skills, knowledge or experience required by Australian businesses where local workers are unavailable. This is a temporary visa and applicants are required to apply offshore.

Australian Migration Agents

Graduate Visas

Graduate visas allow international students to live, study and work in Australia once they have completed their studies.

The Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) Visa is available to eligible international students and includes the following streams: Graduate Work Stream, Post-Study Work Stream, Second Post-Study Work Stream and Replacement Stream.

Eligible students are required to have graduated with qualifications or a degree from an Australian institution. The Temporary Graduate Visa allows international students to live, work and study in Australia on a temporary basis.

Australian Migration Agents

Why Choose Visa Solutions Australia

The visa application process can be complex so our experienced team of registered migration agents can help you navigate the complexities of the process. Visa Solutions Australia has been operating for 20 years, offering exceptional migration and legal services, helping thousands of businesses and individuals with their visa needs. Our professional team of registered migration agents come from all backgrounds and speak many languages.

We are genuinely invested in your visa outcome so we will take the time get to know your business so we can tailor-make a solution that will effectively address the labour shortages within your business.

Australian Migration Agents

How to Work with Visa Solutions Australia

To start your visa journey, book a consultation with one of our registered migration agents. During your consultation, your migration agent will outline a suitable immigration pathway/s for you and your nominee/employee based on your business requirements. We will also discuss the next steps to how we can help you and your nominee/employee make the dream of calling Australia home a reality. 

Visa Solutions Australia

  • Full-service immigration service provider
  • Celebrating 20 years of success with 60 years combined experience
  • Led by senior registered migration agents
  • 99% success rate

Contact our experienced team of registered migration agents to help with your visa requirements. We have offices in Perth, Sydney and Melbourne.


To apply for a work visa in Australia, you must meet the eligibility requirements for the work visa you are applying for. Work visas are generally granted to overseas employees who have the required skills to fill labour shortages in Australia where there are no local workers available to fill the position. While each visa has its own specific eligibility requirements, most visas require applicants to:

  • Be under 45 years of age
  • Meet health requirements
  • Meet character requirements
  • Have sufficient English language proficiency
  • Have relevant skills and work experience

There are various skilled work visas that make up this category, they are:

  • Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) Visa
  • Skilled Independent (subclass 189) Visa
  • Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) Visa
  • Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) Visa
  • Skilled Regional (Provisional) (Subclass 491) Visa
  • Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482) Visa
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (SESR) (Provisional) (subclass 494) Visa

The process for obtaining a skilled or employer sponsored work visa in Australia will be dependent on the visa subclass you are applying for. Some subclasses do not require sponsorship or may require you to be sponsored by your employer or an eligible relative while others may require you to be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency. In most cases, you will be required to hold an occupation on the Skilled Occupations List.

Permanent skilled worker visas have an age limit of 44 years. Once an applicant reaches 45 years of age their permanent visa options diminish, however they may be able to explore other options such as the Temporary Skills Shortage Visa which has no age requirement. While age limits generally apply, it’s important that applicants seek specific advice from a registered migration agent as all cases are different and other options may apply.

The most popular of the skilled visas are the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189), the Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190) and the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) Visa.

The length of time you are permitted to stay in Australia on a work visa will vary depending on your visa. If you hold a temporary visa, you can only remain in Australia for the validity of your visa. Those holding a permanent visa can stay in Australia indefinitely.

The Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) is considered the most straightforward skilled visa offering permanent residence. It’s designed for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, state or territory or family. To be eligible, applicants must meet relevant occupation and points test requirements.

There are many occupations that are in demand in Australia, however the top five in-demand jobs are:

  • Registered Nurses
  • Secondary School Teachers
  • Software and Applications Programmers
  • Electricians
  • Construction Managers

The subclass 482 or Temporary Skills Shortage Visa is for skilled workers nominated by an approved sponsor to fill a skilled position where there are no local workers available.

Processing times for skilled worker visas can vary depending on the visa subclass, the stream and the demand at the time of application.