What is the Investor Stream (Sc188B)?
The Investor Stream is a provisional visa requiring visa holders to invest at least AUD1.5 million in an Australian state or territory and maintain business or investment activity in Australia.
In order to be eligible for the Investor Stream, you must be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency in addition to investing AUD1.5 million in an Australian state or territory.
In order to be nominated, you must have managed a qualifying business or investments to the value of at least AUD1.5 million.
For at least 1 of the 5 fiscal years immediately prior to being invited to apply, you must have directly managed one of the following:
- a qualifying business in which you, your partner or you and your partner combined had at least 10% ownership interest, or
- an eligible investment of at least AUD1.5 million owned by you, your partner or you and your partner combined.
For the two fiscal years immediately prior to being invited to apply, you must have business and personal assets with a net value of at least AUD2.25 million individually or combined with your partner. These assets must have been lawfully acquired and be available for transfer to Australia within two years of the visa being granted.
After lodging the application, you must make a designated investment of at least AUD1.5 million in the state or territory in which the nominating state or territory government agency is located. This investment must be in your name or in your name and your partner’s name. The investment must be made from available funds generated from qualifying businesses or eligible investments.
You must also have the right experience, including:
- have at least three years’ experience managing one or more qualifying businesses or eligible investments
- have a successful record of eligible investment or qualifying business activity
- have demonstrated a high level of management skill in relation to the eligible investment or qualifying business activity
You must also score at least 65 points on the points test.
Points can be accumulated using your:
- English language ability
- business experience
- net personal and business assets
- business turnover
- special endorsement
You must also meet the following criteria:
- intend to live in the state or territory in which you made the investment application for at least two years
- be under 55
- not have a history of involvement in unacceptable activities
- have functional English
- meet health requirements
- meet character requirements
- Sign the Australian values statement
- have no debt to the Australian government
- not have had a visa cancelled or a prior application refused
What Obligations Apply to the Investor Stream?
The visa holder and any family members that are part of the application must comply with all visa conditions, certain business obligations and Australian laws.
Prior to entering Australia for the first time, a visa holder must not marry or enter a de facto relationship.
The visa holder must live in the state or territory in which they made the designated investment for at least two years. They must continue to maintain business or investment activity in Australia after the designated investment matures. Income earned from this investment is subject to Australian taxation law.