457 changes – April 2015
The Federal Government has made changes to the Subclass 457 visas. These changes action the recommendations in the 457 Integrity Review.
The Government has made changes to the following:
- has expanded the list of English language providers, to include test of English as a Foreign Language internet – based test (TOEFL IBT), Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- and Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) test (conducted on or after 1 January 2015)
- will accept an overall test score with minimum scores of each test component (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
- will grant an exemption when an applicant can provide evidence of five cumulative years of study in English at the secondary or tertiary level, rather than proof of five years consecutive secondary or tertiary study in English.
- has extended the term of standard business sponsorship to 5 years commencing from the date of approval.
- has extended the sponsorship period for start-up businesses from twelve (12) months to eighteen (18) months.
- has reduced the market salary exemption threshold from $250,000 to $180,000, this is now in line with the marginal tax rate.
- has extended the notifiable period for sponsors from 10 working days to 28 calendar days.
For more detailed information on the changes please refer to the Department's website at: www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx Visa Solutions Australia