The Medical Treatment Visa (subclass 602) is a temporary visa available for anyone needing to remain in Australia longer than their visa permits or for anyone required to travel to Australia for medical reasons.
The application for the Subclass 602 may be pre-planned but in some cases can be a result of unforeseen circumstances arising. For example, you may have been involved in an accident that now requires you to undergo rehabilitation. If you currently hold a visitor visa that is due to expire, a Medical Treatment Visa may be required to enable you to complete your treatment. In this case, the Medical Treatment Visa acts in a similar way to a bridging visa.
You can be eligible for a Medical Treatment Visa in any of the following circumstances:
- You intend to have medical treatments or consultations in Australia
- You intend to donate an organ to someone in Australia
- You intend to support a patient or organ donor who holds this visa or is applying for this visa
- You intend to receive an organ from someone who travels to Australia with you
- You intend to come to Australia under arrangements of the Western Province of Papua New Guinea and the Queensland Department of Health
- You are in Australia, aged 50 years or older and have been refused an Australian permanent visa on health grounds and are unfit to leave Australia.
The length of stay granted on this visa is based on each applicant’s situation but generally, holders of this visa are permitted to stay in Australia until their treatment plan or consultations are completed. This visa may be granted with single or multiple entry depending on the applicant’s circumstances but it can not be extended.
Other eligibility criteria includes:
- You must not have a medical condition that could be a threat
- You must not currently hold a Temporary Work (International Relations) visa that was granted in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or Consular) Stream; nor should this have been the last visa you held
- You must be able to support yourself financially in Australia
- You must meet health requirements unless you are undergoing medical treatment yourself
- You must meet character requirements
- You must be a genuine visitor
- You must not have any debt owing to the Australian government
- You must be able to pay for all your medical treatments
- You must not have had a visa cancelled previously
As with all visas, it is a condition of this visa that you comply with all visa conditions and abide by Australian laws.
To learn more about Medical Treatment Visas or any other aspect of migration, contact the team at Visa Solutions Australia on 1800 828 008.