apply for an Australian student visa|study in Australia|Australian universities|Australian colleges|international studen

Back to News/Blog

How to apply for an Australian student visa

How to apply for an Australian student visa

How to apply for an Australian student visa

Before you can begin your studies in Australia, you must apply for and obtain an Australian student visa.

Unfortunately, this means you’ll have to partake in the tedious, lengthy and at times confusing process of completing a student visa application form, paying the visa application fee, and perhaps attending an interview.

When applying for an Australian student visa you need to make sure that you meet the following key Australian student visa requirements:

Are you a genuine student? To meet the criteria to be classed as a genuine student, you must show that you intend to obtain a valid educational outcome and that you are equipped with the language, educational and material background to reasonably be able to do this. When assessing whether the applicant for an Australian student visa is a genuine student, factors considered include:

  • English language proficiency
  • Sufficient finances
  • Prerequisite schooling (such as secondary and post-secondary education)
  • Age requirements
  • Intention to comply with visa conditions

Are you a genuine temporary entrant?

The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement states that the visa applicant must be able to demonstrate a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily for the purpose of study). The decision-makers at The Department of Immigration and Border Patrol (DIBP) will consider the following factors:

  • The circumstances in your home country
  • The potential circumstances for you in Australia
  • The value of your chosen course to your future
  • Your immigration history
  • Any other relevant matters

Are you financially secure?

When applying for a visa you need to be able to demonstrate evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition, travel and living costs. The Assessment Level of the student determines the level of funds required, who can provide these funds and how long the funds must be held. If you have dependents (such as a spouse and children), you will also need to show evidence of being able to cover living costs for them, regardless of whether they intend to travel to Australia or not.

Do you meet the English proficiency requirements?

While all students are required to demonstrate they have the appropriate English language proficiency for their course, AL 1 and 2 applicants need only meet the requirements specified by their higher education provider, while AL 3 and 4 applicants must also provide DIBP with evidence of their English language proficiency.

The DIBP website lists eligible tests, with possibilities being the IELTS, TOFEL iBT, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic and Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) test. The score you will need will depend on whether you are starting a full degree, doing a foundation course, or enrolling on a preliminary English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

Are you in good health?

Some students may be advised to take a medical and/or a radiological check-up to show they are in good health (this applies, for example, to those who intend to train as a doctor, dentist or nurse). If told to do so, you must attend an appointment with a doctor who has been approved by the Australian immigration department.

If told to do so, you must attend an appointment with a doctor who has been approved by the Australian immigration department. Except those from Belgium or Norway, all students are obliged to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). You may purchase this cover through your university, or directly from one of the five approved providers: 

Australian Health Management, BUPA Australia, Medibank Private, Allianz Global Assistance and nib OSHC.

Are you of good character?

All students will also be assessed against the character requirements stipulated by DIBP. This includes a criminal record check, to make sure you don’t have a substantial criminal record. You may also need to acquire a penal clearance certificate (or police certificate) or get a police statement, and may be asked to complete a Character Statutory Declaration Form.

Your student visa will last for the duration of your studies, including holiday periods, and will also allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course, in order to prepare for departure.

To help you streamline and speed up the process, contact Visa Solutions today! We will handle all aspects of the student visa process for you, removing the stress and increasing your change of success.

We’ll assist you with every step of the Australian visa application process with our team of qualified Migration Agents who are registered in accordance with Australian Government requirements to ensure you receive professional advice. Contact Visa Solutions today to get started.

Share this Post:

Related Posts: