Western Australia has one of the strictest border closures in Australia. While travel within the regions of Western Australia is permitted, interstate travel is a little more problematic.
Only those considered to be exempt travellers can enter Western Australia subject to terms and conditions, including a requirement to quarantine for 14 days. A G2G Pass allows travellers to enter Western Australia with more ease.
What is a G2G Pass?
A G2G Pass is an entry pass that allows you to travel to Western Australia for approved purposes. It is very similar to a federal travel exemption and still requires supporting documentation for the application to be considered.
All travellers arriving in Western Australia are assessed upon entry, a G2G Pass is a preliminary check that allows authorities to determine whether travellers are required to go into hotel quarantine or if they have been approved to self-quarantine in the traveller’s choice of accommodation.
In order for a G2G Pass to be issued, travellers must meet exemption criteria and the 14-day quarantine period still applies. The G2G pass is valid for the duration of your stated travel.
A G2G Pass is available to interstate travellers, WA residents needing to visit interstate and then return to WA and overseas travellers flying directly into Western Australia.
Who are exempt travellers?
Exempt travellers include:
- Anyone performing a function under a Commonwealth law
- Truck drivers who deliver goods to Western Australia as part of their normal duties
- FIFO workers (subject to requirements to isolate for 14 days at an approved location at their employer’s expense)
- Emergency service workers
- Those with compassionate circumstances (including urgent and essential medical treatment, visiting a relative who has suffered a serious medical episode or whose death is imminent or to attend a funeral)
- Members of the House of Representatives and Senators of the Commonwealth Parliament
- Carers and relatives who need to care for a dependent person in Western Australia
- Dependent persons who need to enter WA to be cared for by a carer or relative because they can no longer be cared for interstate
- People whose residential facility such as a boarding school has closed, and they need to return to Western Australia to stay with family or a carer
- People who need to enter Western Australia to comply with a court order
- Specialist workers with skills not otherwise available in WA who are required to undertake time-critical services required for industry or business continuity or maintenance of a competitive operation.
How do you apply for a G2G Pass?
Applications can be made online or by submitting an exemption application form with supporting documentation. Recently, Visa Solutions Australia has been assisting a great number of clients with applications for G2G Passes.
While a G2G Pass is not compulsory, it is advisable to have it if planning to travel to Western Australia.
If you would like to learn more about G2G Passes or any other aspects of migration contact the Visa Solutions team on 1800 828 008.
While Australian borders are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel exemptions may apply under the following circumstances:
- A traveller has a compassionate or compelling reason to visit Australia
- Overseas workers holding a Subclass 482 or 400 visa are required to undertake a job in Australia that cannot be filled by a local employee
Visa Solutions Australia has been successful in acquiring a broad range of exemptions, from critical workers to those needing to travel on compassionate grounds.