Bridging Visas - A Breakdown

Back to News/Blog

Bridging Visas - A Breakdown

Bridging Visas - A Breakdown

Bridging visas are temporary visas granted to non-citizens in Australia who have lodged a new visa application and are waiting for the new visa to be granted. Bridging visas are not indefinite, so they have a period of validity. The number of people on bridging visas is quite high and the wait times can be extensive.

Bridging visas are granted in the following circumstances:

  • Your original visa has expired, and you are waiting for your new visa to be processed
  • You have applied to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal regarding a decision on a visa refusal or cancellation
  • There is a court appeal on a decision about your visa that you are waiting on
  • You have requested a ministerial intervention
  • You have been an unlawful non-citizen and are making arrangements to depart Australia voluntarily

The Different Types of Bridging Visas

There are five different bridging visas. Each have different conditions and are granted in alphabetical order.

Bridging Visa A (BVA)
Bridging Visa A is the most common of bridging visas and is granted to a person automatically when they apply for another substantive visa whilst in Australia. 

Bridging Visa A is attached to a valid visa application and allows a person to stay in Australia lawfully in the event that processing of their new visa application goes beyond the expiration date of the current visa or where it is granted in association with a judicial review. 

Holders of a BVA may work if they meet work requirements.

Bridging Visa B (BVB)
As well as being able to stay in Australia lawfully, Bridging Visa B allows the visa holder to leave and return to Australia while they are on a BVA awaiting their substantive visa application to be processed. 

Bridging Visa B will only be granted if you hold Bridging Visa A. 

You may work if you meet work requirements.

Bridging Visa C (BVC)
This bridging visa is granted if you have lodged a new visa application and you do not currently hold a substantive visa but you are already on a BVA or BVB; or you are unlawful at the time of lodging the new application. 

You are unable to work on a BVC.

Bridging Visa D (BVD)
This visa is granted if you are about to become unlawful due to an invalid visa application being lodged. 

This visa gives you five days to lodge a valid visa application. 

You are unable to work on this visa.

Bridging Visa E (BVE)
Bridging Visa E is granted to someone to allow them to make arrangements to depart Australia, finalise their immigration matters or await an immigration decision.

Bridging visas are a complex issue and it’s important to talk to someone in the know. If you would like advice on bridging visas or any other aspect of migration,
speak to one of the VSA team today.

Share this Post: