The Business Visitor Visa allows holders to visit Australia for business reasons. This a temporary visa and may be granted for up to 12 months. You can enter Australia at any time during the validity of the visa and stay for up to three months.
The length of time granted on this visa is determined on a case-by-case basis depending on:
- how long you want to stay
- why you want to visit Australia
This visa can be granted with single or multiple entry.
Family members cannot be included on a Business Visitor Visa application. Any family members travelling with you must apply for a Tourist Visa.
In order to be eligible for a Business Visitor Visa you must be a genuine visitor travelling to Australia for business activities and be outside Australia when you apply for this visa and when the outcome of the application is decided.
You must also meet the following criteria:
- Meet health requirements
- Meet character requirements
- Not have any debts owing to the Australian government or have arranged to pay back any money owing
- Have enough money to support your stay in Australia
- Perform business related activities
What Obligations Apply to the Business Visitor Stream?
While on a Business Visitor Visa, you must meet all visa conditions as outlined on your visa grant letter and obey Australian laws.
You must also notify the Department of Home Affairs of any changes in your circumstances. These include:
- Changes to your details (phone number, email, address or passport)
- Changes in your relationship status
- The birth of a child
It is also recommended that applicants take out health insurance in case any unforeseen medical issues arise while staying in Australia.
What Can You Do on This Visa?
On a Business Visitor Visa, you can:
- make general business or employment enquiries
- investigate, negotiate, enter into or review a business contract
- conduct activities as part of an official government visit
- take part in a conference, trade fair or seminar although the organisers can't pay you to take part
While holding this visa, you cannot:
- work for or provide services to a business or organisation based in Australia
- sell goods or services directly to the public
Other Important Information
Holders of an APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) may not need to apply for a visa for travel to Australia. It is assumed that you have applied for a Visitor Visa when applying for the ABTC.
An APEC Business Travel Card may be granted to senior businesspeople who undertake frequent travel for business purposes. It offers faster and easier entry to some countries of the Asia-Pacific Region. Holders of an ABTC with ‘AUS’ printed on the back, can enter Australia for short-stay business or tourism activities for the validity of the ABTC. The ABTC is valid for five years from the date of issue.
Cost and Processing Times
The cost per applicant for a Business Visitor Visa is AUD145. Additional costs may also apply for the following:
- health checks
- police checks
You may be able to fast-track your visa application if you hold a passport from:
- the People's Republic of China (but not Hong Kong or Macau)
- the United Arab Emirates
The cost of fast-tracking your application is AUD1,000 in addition to the standard visa application charge.
Processing of Business Visitor Visa applications can take anywhere from 10 - 16 days. Longer processing times may apply if:
- the application is not filled out correctly
- you don’t include all required documents
- more information about you is required
If you would like to learn more about the Business Visitor Visa or any other aspects of migration contact the Visa Solutions Australia team. It is a complex subject, so it is important to speak with someone in the know.