Child Visas (Subclass 802 and 101)

Back to News/Blog

Child Visas

Child Visas

Child Visas are available to dependent children of Australian and New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent visa holders.

There are two child visas available, the subclass 802 and the subclass 101. They are the same but the application process differs slightly for each.

Applicants of the subclass 802 must be in Australia when applying for this visa and when a decision is made. A child cannot apply for a subclass 802 if they are in Australia on another visa which has a no further stay condition attached.

When applying for the subclass 101 the child must be outside Australia when applying for the visa and when a decision is made.

Both of these visas allow a child to migrate to Australia as a permanent resident. Children are able to study, travel and access Medicare benefits when they hold this visa. With these visas, holders can apply for Australian Citizenship if eligible.

In order for an applicant to be eligible for a child visa, they must meet the following criteria:
- Be dependent on their parent who must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident of Australia.
- The child must be sponsored by an eligible parent or their parent’s spouse or de facto partner.
- The child must be under 18 years of age. 

Exceptions apply if:
The child is between the ages of 18 and 25 years and studying fill time and is financially dependent on their parents or;
over 18 years old with a disability.

- The child cannot be married, engaged to be married or in a de facto relationship.
- The child must meet health requirements.
- The child must meet character requirements if they are over 16 years of age.
- The child or any member of the child’s family cannot have any debt owing to the Australian Government.
- Children over the age of 18 years must sign the Australian Values Statement.

This visa will only be granted if:
- The child has written consent to migrate to Australia from everyone who can legally decide where they live if they are under 18 years of age
- The laws in the child’s home country permit them to leave their home country
- It is consistent with any Australian child order regarding the child.
- If the child is under 18 years of age then migrating to Australia must be in the best interests of the child.

As with any visa, the applicant must obey all Australian laws.

If you would like to learn more about child visas or any other aspects of migration, contact the team at Visa Solutions Australia on 1800 828 008.

Share this Post: