Carer visas allow individuals to reside in Australia to look after family members. There are two carer visas available, the subclass 836 (on-shore) and the subclass 110 (off-shore). The person being cared for must be a relative, or a relative's family member who lives with them. These are permanent visas so holders are entitled to stay in Australia indefinitely.
The subclass 836 Carer Visa is a permanent visa allowing holders to stay in Australia to care for someone with a long-term medical condition who has no reasonable access to care options in Australia.
It is important to note that this visa is not only for those with physical disabilities. Mental conditions and disabilities are also a valid reason to apply for this visa, and we have had successful cases in the past on these grounds.
In order to apply for a subclass 836 Carer Visa, applicants must:
- be in Australia when they apply for the visa and when it is granted
- be a carer for a relative or a member of their family who has no reasonable access to care in Australia
- be sponsored by their relative or their relative’s spouse or de facto partner for their first 2 years in Australia
The subclass 116 Carer Visa is a permanent visa that enables the applicant to re-locate to Australia to care for someone with a long-term medical condition. The person being cared for must have no reasonable access to care options in Australia.
To apply for a Subclass 116 Carer Visa, applicants must:
- be outside Australia when they apply and when a decision is made on the application
- provide care for a relative, or a member of their family who lives with them, who has no reasonable access to care in Australia
- be sponsored by their relative or their relative’s partner for their first 2 years in Australia
Holders of these visas can:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare
- sponsor relatives to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia as many times as they like for 5 years
- apply for Australian Citizenship, if eligible
Applicants may include their families in the application when applying for either of these two visas.
In order to apply for these visas, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a carer. Applicants must be willing and able to provide ongoing care, support and assistance to their relative or family member. The applicant must have an understanding of their relative or family member’s medical condition and the care required.
- Be sponsored by an eligible sponsor who must be approved by the Department of Home Affairs.
- Obey all Australian laws.
- Hold or have held a substantive visa except for a Transit visa (subclass 771).
- Meet health requirements.
- Meet character requirements.
- Not owe any money to the Australian government.
- Not had a visa cancelled or previous applications refused.
- Sign the Australian Values Statement.
Visa applications for each of these visas undergoes an assessment process to determine eligibility prior to the visa being granted.
If you would like to learn more about Carer visas contact the team at Visa Solutions Australia on 1800 828 008.